Thursday, February 23, 2017

What are you doing with your MONEY?

Mid career.  I was in the office of my boss.  The company was doing well, finally.  Quite well, in fact.  He was giving me a bonus check and in that moment he looked at me and asked, "What are you doing with your money?".

It wasn't at all an unusual question.  You see, I was the key creative executive in the company.  By key creative I mean to paint a picture of up-all-night, meeting-packed days, travel itinerary from hell, no personal life and a head filled with promo graphics and overnight ratings.  He could probably conjure up a coffee table in my home filled with unopened checks that should have been channeled through a direct deposit set up, had I not neglected to fill out necessary paperwork.

Yes, I was neglectful and running contrary to a key reason for work in the first place...money!  But still, my mind was elsewhere.  I loathed the business of life... of bills and of money. I was angry about details that were not about content creation and engagement and design.  I wanted to be in the company of producers and creators and artists and craft people.  I happily ignored all talk of commerce and numbers except when it involved the performance of the shows.  I was a shapes and colors girl, avoiding columns and lines at every turn.

So I told my boss that I wasn't doing much with my money.  He took back the bonus until I promised to take some simple advice.  He offered it up.  I followed it and now I think back on that generous conversation as a HUGE turning point in my life. It was the day I grew up, financially.

What are you doing with your money?

I'm going to blog about it in the next couple of days.  Why, because I've recently been asked by quite a few people who are, as I was, mid career.  I'll tell my story.  It is simple and, though it takes a little reading, I have always managed my own money and investments (with great advice and counsel along the way).  If you know me, that is really surprising but it's worked, so I'll share.

No comments: